14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Barcelona

7 50.00%
  • Arsenal

7 50.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 2006 UEFA Champions League final

HAHA what a funny quote

2037: I've never been kissed by so many strangers and I'm being offered beer left right and centre. When it went they just went crazy!
    TVR, Heres to Peter wheeler and his last creationg of the Scamander.

Coventry seriously sucks....

I hate soccer.

Barcelona win 2-1
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

^^^ its okay your the minority

Hate is too strong a word for a sport.

For example i think curling is a stupid sport that ill agree with

oh...

I am ashamed to be norwegian...
    bad descision in the episode after 18 min by the referee..
    Good that barca wins in the end though..

Im sorry, I might be biased cos Im an Arsenal fan, but Arsenal deserved the win. They kept the score at 1-0 until the 78th min with only 10 men against the 'ultimate club of europe' with the 'superstar' show-down of Ronaldhino...actually I dont recall him playing tonight...was he there!

Ok, was the Lehmann sending off unfair? In my opinion no, BUT, if he had stayed on who knows what would have happened. If we had gone 1-0 down in the 18th minute that would have really stuck a spanner right up Arsenals arse. So the game could have ended up a whole lot worse for Arsenal. But because of the sheer brilliance of are defence we kept the Barcalona buggers at bay. Wrong move on Wengers part to bring Flamini on for Fabregas, it broke up the midfield which led to the goals.

And as for Henry, hes just the coolest man lol, he calmly says after the game "I dont want to dive like them, I am not a woman". To say that, just justifies that he cant possibly wanna play for a team like Barca. Henry to stay at Arsenal!

Im proud to be an Arsenal fan after tonight! and for the last load of Champions league games that we've gone with out conceding a goal since Ajax in October...ooo and since I was born!

Arsenal fan 4eva...woo
    I aint know "rookie"
    2006 Ford Mustang 4.6 V8 Premium GT
    2008 Chrysler 300C SRT Design
    2007 Alfa Romeo Brera 2.2
    1972 MG Midget 1275

GAME RECAP:

Barcelona 2-1 Arsenal

One of the more exciting matches this tournament and a real final. Unfortunally the bigger part of the match was outshined by the poor display of the Norwegian referee. After 18 minutes he made a weird decision by sending out Jens Lehmann after he tackled African attacker Samuel Eto'o, However Eto'o was able to pass the ball to Guily who scored. The ref decided to disallow the goal and show Lehmann the red card.

About 20 minutes later, the next blooper was shown. Arsenals Eboué made a great theaterical dive but earned a free kick. Henry took the free ball almost perfect, found the head of Campbell, who headed the ball in 0-1!

In the extra time Eto'o hits the post after a great pass from Ronaldinho.

In the second half it was Barcelona most of the time. Arsenal fell back till their own half and let Barca make the play. However in some spare moments 'The Gunners' were able the make some chances. Hleb made a brilliant pass to Henry but he on his turn found the great goalie Valdés on his way.

After a great combination by Eto'o and Henrik Larsson, the Cameroonian was able to shot the ball in the back of the net, it's all tied up again: 1-1! It was the first goal in 11 matches and 995 minutes scored against Arsenal.

And after the goal it was all over with Arsenal. Substitution Juliano Belletti made a combination with (again) Larsson and fires through goalie Almunia's legges. Belletti scores his first ever goal for Barcelona, but it certainly is his most special of his career!

After the goal Arsenal seems to give up and Barcelona easily plays the last 15 mins. Barca wins their second Europa Cup/Champion League in their history. Arsenal gets nothing after hoping to be the first ever London club to win the biggest European prize.
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

I dont think Arsenal gave up at the end, but its hard being 10 men down in pouring rain with a goal defecit to make up. Henry is a legend, he worked his socks off in that game, heres hoping he sticks with the Gunners, truly magnificent player. I thought he completely outshone Ronaldinho in utter work effort.
    Porsche!

Yeah Ronaldinho wasn't on his best. But I must say, Henry should have scored that goal in the second half. A striker with his qualities and experience really needs to make such a goal...
    "The best thing about this is that you know that it has to come from a country where drugs is legal"

Top Gear on the Vandenbrink Carver One

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    Yeah Ronaldinho wasn't on his best. But I must say, Henry should have scored that goal in the second half. A striker with his qualities and experience really needs to make such a goal...
    He said post game that he had no energy left in his legs he ahd been putting in so much work.
    It looked like that -- enough to get the ball and get there but nothing to then put power into it.

nice comment from him recognising the skill and impact of Larsen.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    He said post game that he had no energy left in his legs he ahd been putting in so much work.
    It looked like that -- enough to get the ball and get there but nothing to then put power into it.

nice comment from him recognising the skill and impact of Larsen.
    It's always been an issue with Henry's finishing in those situations, he always tries to pass the ball into the goal in one-on-one situations when a lot of the time he ought to just hammer it. I've seen him just place the ball into the hands of the keeper numerous times like that. If he'd just put his foot through the ball and blasted it he would've been almost guaranteed to score.

There were also some fairly silly comments from Henry after the game about the referee's performance -

I don't want to start any arguments, but I don't know whether the referee had a Barcelona shirt on or something - in the first half they kicked me all over the place. I told the ref 'If you don't want us to win it, why not just tell us from the start.'
    I think over the balance of the game the dodgy decisions evened themselves out. The freekick for Arsenal's goal was a dive, but Eto'o was clearly offside for the first Barca goal. There were also some pretty rough tackles from either side so Henry's argument doesn't really stand up.

It was a shame that someone had to get sent off so early on. For the first 17 minutes it was shaping up to be a fantastic game, with Arsenal's passing game making a mockery of the Barca midfield and Barca looking to counterattack with Eto'o and Giuly. Although it was technically justified, the sending off ruined the game as a spectacle for the neutral fan. I would've preferred he let the goal stand and let Lehmann stay on.

As I said earlier in the thread it is often who gets the lucky break at the right time that takes the prize, and so it proved last night. Belletti's shot was a poor one, it was destined to be an Arsenal throw-in until it struck Almunia on the leg. I guess technically it was an own goal from the keeper, VERY lucky for Belletti and Barca.
    uәʞoɹq spɹɐoqʎәʞ ʎɯ

Quote Originally Posted by jorismo
    After 18 minutes he made a weird decision by sending out Jens Lehmann after he tackled African attacker Samuel Eto'o, However Eto'o was able to pass the ball to Guily who scored. The ref decided to disallow the goal and show Lehmann the red card.
    Disallowing the goal is odd, but that was definately a card. He actually tackled Eto'o, grabbed his ankle and brought him down. I mean if that's not a card what it?
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Yeah i also liked at the end on sky they had a clip of Henry saying

"maybe i should learn to dive that way we would have been champions ages ago, if every ones doing it why arent i "

In answer to that i say because ou dont need to cheat

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Disallowing the goal is odd, but that was definately a card. He actually tackled Eto'o, grabbed his ankle and brought him down. I mean if that's not a card what it?
    You cant have both...its one or the other...no goal, player off - goal, player on.
    I aint know "rookie"
    1972 MG Midget 1275

Quote Originally Posted by matek
    Yeah i also liked at the end on sky they had a clip of Henry saying

"maybe i should learn to dive that way we would have been champions ages ago, if every ones doing it why arent i "

In answer to that i say because ou dont need to cheat

Henry: "I am not a woman, so I try and stay on my feet!"
    I aint know "rookie"
    1972 MG Midget 1275

Thread Information