Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: New Race car - the story begins.

Hey Charged, I read a lot about the 4AGE motors some years ago while dreaming of a project car and I remember Billzilla had a really extensive article about modifying it.
    Have you read it? He talks through modifying them in hp stages from 115 to 400+, have you taken a similar root in building your 4AGEs?
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

Quote Originally Posted by P4g4nite View Post
    Hey Charged, I read a lot about the 4AGE motors some years ago while dreaming of a project car and I remember Billzilla had a really extensive article about modifying it.
    Have you read it? He talks through modifying them in hp stages from 115 to 400+, have you taken a similar root in building your 4AGEs?
    Yep read his pages and have spoken to Bill Sherwood, he is the 4AGE guru, my engine is essentially stock bar the intake trumpets and extractors. Im running a Autronic ecu so I can fine tune ignition and fuel maps and activate the VVTI with it. The blacktop 4ages runs fairly highlift cams on the intake and runs big ITB's, they are actually over throttled as it makes the same power at 4000rpm at full throttle as it does at half throttle. If I do modify the engine for more power I will probably build a turboed 4age with the 5 valve blacktop head. To get between 210-240 hp its a big dollar exersize, so its more cost effective for a turbo engine. The 4ages are great little engines and from what Ive been told their very robust.

Cheers
    John
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

I see, so you are holding off any extensive mods until you get serious with the turbo then? Are you aiming for torquey or top end?

The 4ages are great little engines and from what Ive been told their very robust.
    I find it a fascinating engine to read about, so many things make it a great engine to use. From the Yamaha designed head, the racing heritage, the variety of interchangeable parts between versions, the aftermarket and enthusiast support.
    I'm heading over to Japan next year and I've got a promise to drive a built Trueno I know they aren't proper fast compared to modern cars but you cannot beat light weight and high revs for fun.
    Horsepower wins races. Torque pulls trailers.

http://www.nuerburgring.de/fileadmin/webcam/webcam.jpg <Live cast from the 'Ring.

We are taking the brothers Ke20 out to Mallala and I'll have a drive of it in the last practice session on Saturday, cant wait . We want to turbo the engine in a few years once I get a handle on it. In the class we race the turbo cars run a 36mill restrictor and they starve for air up high as theoretically the restrictor only flows a maximum of 364hp before the air turns supersonic, but careful shaping of the restrictor helps with hp gains. The nephews run 2 litre turbos and they hit the restrictor wall at 6000rpm, they produce over 400ft/lb of torque at 3000rpm. We are hoping with the 1.6 they will produce the same hp with slightly less torque over a wider rpm range hopefully over 7000rpm.

The turbo option will be a 5 year project as I will have to upgrade the whole drivetrain for the extra hp, gearbox, diff, brakes, flare the gaurds and increase the track. Just want to get my car on the track and do some skids

Got a few things done on the my car, front struts are done and brakes plumbed, gerabox is in, new tail shaft being made, dash is finished except I need a new dash pad and steering wheel, the hazard light is now ignition and wiper is start button, seats in, brake bias fitted and plumed, fuel tank and surge installed.

Last edited by charged; 07-29-2007 at 03:21 AM.

look's good charged shuold go good too
    vetec it's the automotive equivilent of schizaphrenia
    single handly keeping stanley headlight's in business
    founding member of the over 2lt asault team

She runs, hopefully it will turn a wheel tommorrow

It's alive!.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

She has done her first skid, the rollas nearly ready for its first laps round Mallala on Saturday, hope it stops raining , the car is staring to look like a race car now. Bought new wheels for it and a new tacho, the VDO one was u/s. Bought a Splitfire 11ooorpm tacho with shift light and recall, I wanted a autometer tacho but the price was rediculous. Engine bay is nearly finished except for the airbox, my painter did the rocker cover in silver, looks very tidy now.Also bought a RPM suede steering wheel

I want those wheels
    I am the Stig

I'll post some pics in the following days, the car still isnt painted yet and looks like a bit of a dunga, but its getting there.

The dunga wagon hits the track.

Finally got the rolla on the track and it was great, best fun ever. The car went well except I had massive brake fade down the back straight going into the northern hairpin and end in the sand trap. The brakes are ordinary 3 laps and their shagged, going to have to piss off the VS Commodore calipers and put on some decent japanese 2 or 4 piston calipers. The car ran great the front end is very close to being close, needs some more castor and some toe in and that should help turn in. I got down to a 1.29 and that was with braking 100 metres early everywhere and saftey tapping on the straights. There is a good 5-6 secs to be found with better brakes and getting to know the car and pushing it harder. The rear suspension is the right stiffness but the shocks are GT gas and have shit rebound will be going to a mid price Koni with adjustable rebound and that should get the arse end right. It poggos a bit at the moment and causes oversteer very easy. The motor is fantastic, I ran it with out a airbox and just screens on the trumpets and the noise is fantasic it just roars. It revs cleanly to 9000rpm in 3 rd gear down the back straight. I was running 4.11 in the rear and only used 1,2,3 going for a 4.77 when it gets here which will let me use 4 and 3rd more and I will use 5th gear on longer circuits like PI or Eastern Creek. All in all a good shake down nothing really broke and the car is pretty close. Hopefully going to paint next week ready for September practice and then the November state round.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Are those VS calipers a sliding caliper design?
    I am the Stig

Yeah they are the single piston sliding design, because they are 13in wheels getting a 4 spot caliper will be hard to fit, early model 144 volvos may fit or a race spec caliper like JFZ or Willwood. I had a huge scare but the sand trap worked well, we brake from 180kph into the hairpin and I could even lock a brake with the brake bias set nearly all to the front.

There'll be something out there, but i guess the question is at what price. V8 Supercars with their 17" rims can fit 375mm rotors and 6 piston calipers, yet you wont fit too much more than a 330mm rotor and 4 piston caliper on a 17" road wheel.
    I am the Stig

Thread Information