Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR settles $225 million suit with ex-official

NASCAR settles $225 million suit with ex-official

I'm not here to defend the Hicks, but imo she saw an opportunity and took it in sue-happy America

I wonder how much she got.

NASCAR settles $225 million suit with ex-official - Yahoo! News

CHARLOTTE, N.C. – NASCAR has settled a $225 million lawsuit filed by a former official who said she was subjected to racial discrimination and sexual harassment during her two-plus years working for the stock-car organization. The suit was settled during a Dec. 3 mediation held in New York between Mauricia Grant and NASCAR. Settlement terms were confidential. Neither side admitted liability or wrongdoing, according to NASCAR.

"We're glad to have the case settled on mutually acceptable terms," NASCAR spokesman Ramsey Poston said Thursday. "NASCAR remains dedicated to maintaining a professional work environment for all employees at all times, and we wish Ms. Grant well in her future endeavors."

Grant's attorney, Benedict P. Morelli of New York-based Morelli Ratner PC, did not immediately return a call from the AP for comment.

Grant, who is black, worked as a technical inspector responsible for certifying cars in NASCAR's second-tier Nationwide Series from January 2005 until her October 2007 termination. In the lawsuit filed in June in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York, Grant alleged 23 specific incidents of alleged sexual harassment and 34 specific incidents of alleged racial and gender discrimination during her employment.

Will she use her new monies to perform good deeds?

Probably not.

I'd say she got millions, since it's almost impossible to prove innocence in allegations like that and public opinion would already be on her side if it went to court, which would also cost millions.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Shes going to have the best trailer in all the park.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

two years? They need to have a cap depending on how long the person put up with it. If she dealt with it over the course of 2 years it must not have had that large of an effect on her. Give her a few coupons to mcdonalds and call it a day.
    You can call me scott.

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    Give her a few coupons to mcdonalds and call it a day.
    Oh man, that actually made me laugh out loud

Quote Originally Posted by scottie300z View Post
    two years? They need to have a cap depending on how long the person put up with it. If she dealt with it over the course of 2 years it must not have had that large of an effect on her. Give her a few coupons to mcdonalds and call it a day.
    $225M for some racial slurs and occasional woman joke? She made out pretty well, in my opinion.

And I love that you can pay out some huge figure and still "admit no wrongdoing".
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Quote Originally Posted by my porsche View Post
    $225M for some racial slurs and occasional woman joke? She made out pretty well, in my opinion.

And I love that you can pay out some huge figure and still "admit no wrongdoing".
    She sued for $225 million, probably because the huge amount would make headlines and bring attention to the case.... but she settled for an undisclosed amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx View Post
    .... but she settled for an undisclosed amount.
    so ... it WAS a few coupons for mcdonalds
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

If a white man like me was racially abused they would get nothing from NASCAR. They would not receive any settlement money whatsoever. One rule for whites and another rule for blacks.
    "Take my swimming trunks, I won't need them." - Frank Costanza. "What does he want with your swimming trunks." - Estelle Costanza. "Why should they go to waste." - Frank Costanza - Seinfeld

One of the things that annoyed me the most about living in california was scollarships. So many of them you HAD to be a minority or female to get them. One was for female itialian catholic track stars with cancer. Try finding someone to fit that. Even the ones that didn't explicitly require you to be a minority usually went to them. I had a friend who got tired of it and because he was russian he checked the "asian-american" boxes.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

That's why you should always check "other."
    Last summer I applied for an internship and didn't get it. Later I learned that only 2 out of 120 people who got accepted weere full-blooded caucasions.
    I can understand affirmative action to a point, but is usually taken to an extreme.
    To be fair, minorities have been and are shat on, but they're going about getting their reparation the wrong way entirely, IMO.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    To be fair, minorities have been and are shat on, but they're going about getting their reparation the wrong way entirely, IMO.
    I couldn't agree more. I'm sick of this entitlement idea that people go about just becaues they have a different skin color. It's like reparations for slavery... really?

So a Black Woman went into the sport with the greatest neck-redness ratio known to man & expected what precisely?

A big pay off at the end of the day?

Not to excuse the actions of obviously bigoted & sexist staff, but I mean really.....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows View Post
    So a Black Woman went into the sport with the greatest neck-redness ratio known to man & expected what precisely?

A big pay off at the end of the day?

Not to excuse the actions of obviously bigoted & sexist staff, but I mean really.....

This. I'll go apply for a job with the NAACP and see how that goes for a while.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Thread Information