Thread: Panhard 24

Panhard 24

When introduced in 1963, the Panhard 24C was the most expensive two cylinder car in the world. It was the successor of the PL17, but still used its 850 aircooled flat twin, producing 42 bhp in standard trim and 50 bhp in the exclusive Tigre versions. The body design was very slippery and despite of its modest engine output, the Tigre versions were able to reach 160 kph, although it took some time to get there. The engines were high revving and needed to be kept on high revs in order make any significant progress.

The 24B was introduced a year later and met with the requirement for more interior space by adding 19 cms to the wheelbase. It was now a full four seater, but also heavier than the C model. The top speed did not decrease, showing the inherent aerodynamic qualities of the body design. The engine version could be identified by the suffix “T” for Tigre. Outwardly the much shorter roof over the rear side window gives the C model away.

Despite its high price Panhard managed to over 28000 of both model, almost 13,000 of which where B Models. The car probably had much more potential but it did not fit into the Citroen programme, and therefore the car was discontinued in 1967. If only the later Citroen GS engine had been fitted to this little car….apparently that engine was derived from the Panhard twin and not from the 2CV engine.

Shown here are a 24BT, a 24CT and a rare 24CT Cabriolet, which is probably an aftermarket conversion, as it was never an officially available model.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Along with Facel Vega's, Panhard's disapearance explains a lot of today's lack of originality and prestige in French automotive industry ... The rest is epxlained by Citroens using Peugeot parts...
    orangeferrari.blog.com

The swangsong to the oldest french manufacturer. I do really like it, the car that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ant View Post
    Along with Facel Vega's, Panhard's disapearance explains a lot of today's lack of originality and prestige in French automotive industry ... The rest is epxlained by Citroens using Peugeot parts...
    Well the Citroen C6 is just great and the whole Renault lineup isn't exactly conventional.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Well the Citroen C6 is just great and the whole Renault lineup isn't exactly conventional.
    I agree. I own a Mégane myself and I love it. But I meant Facel Vega as a french kind of Bentley or Citroen presenting something comparable to the Deésse... And yes, this Panhard is lovely.

Renault lineup isn't exactly conventional.
    New Twingo is disappointing, from that perspective...no? They take risks with Mégane, a fundamental car in European market, and make an ultra-conventional small car...don't get it.
    Last edited by Leo_Ant; 06-11-2007 at 02:12 PM.
    orangeferrari.blog.com

I agree. I own a Mégane myself and I love it. But I meant Facel Vega as a french kind of Bentley or Citroen presenting something comparable to the Deésse... And yes, this Panhard is lovely.
    You are right, there's no big luxury french brand today, and with the possible exception of the C6 no french prestigious car either, which is a shame since France has a rich history of prestigious cars, including Delgaes, Delahayes or Bugattis amongst others.
    New Twingo is disappointing, from that perspective...no? They take risks with Mégane, a fundamental car in European market, and make an ultra-conventional small car...don't get it.
    I agree the Twingo is not only disappointing but downright ugly from the back, but I guess that since the Avantime/Vel Satis/Megane Mk II days they didn't want to take risks which is comprehensible. However when you can buy a C4, all is forgiven.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information