Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What about the Wankel Engine??

the old generations of the rotary engine did that things, but the new ones, like the RENESYS from Mazda, is known as low comsuption, and low emission levels...
    that“s why is a masterpiece...
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br
    The 56th member of this Forum.

Originally posted by piledriver
    the old generations of the rotary engine did that things, but the new ones, like the RENESYS from Mazda, is known as low comsuption, and low emission levels...
    that“s why is a masterpiece...
    The new renesys is better than the old wankle in those area's beacuse they moved the exhaust and intake ports.

Rotary engines do not have valves, in the origonal design both the intake and exhaust ports were exposed to the current combustion chamber, this caused fresh fuel to be blown out the exhaust before even going through a compression/power cycle.

They also managed to re-engineer the apex seals, and claim they will not longer be a problem. That is also what they said about the 13B rotary, and that didn't go over to well.

To be a practical engine for a passenger car (read: Not 2300 pound car) they need to be turbocharged, or be 3 or 4 rotar N/A engines. The RENESYS design makes it impossible to have more than 2 rotars, therefore it MUST be forced induction to be usefull in a daily application.

The problem is torque. The RENESYS only puts out around 150 pound feet or torque. A rotary produces its massive power by revving to extreme RPM. The RENESYS has been tested at over 10000 RPM. These types of power bands are great for carving canyon roads, but useless for day to day driving.

THe other problem is the general public. Rotary engines are extremely hard to tune. They also have a tendancy to explode over the slightest ping. The general public cannot be expected to maintain their vehicle in perfect show room condition. People like to just put gas in their car and forget about it. You cannot do that with a rotary.

As I know almost nothing about engeneering, I didn“t know such informations you told... and it is quite relevant to say if this engine is or not worthwhile...
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

Originally posted by piledriver
    As I know almost nothing about engeneering, I didn“t know such informations you told... and it is quite relevant to say if this engine is or not worthwhile...
    It will be a great powerplant for the new Miata, but unless they impliment some new design changes, I think the rotary will die once again.

You know, it would also do very well with an electric assist motor to beef up the low end.

Originally posted by MKielbasa
    It will be a great powerplant for the new Miata, but unless they impliment some new design changes, I think the rotary will die once again.

You know, it would also do very well with an electric assist motor to beef up the low end.
    What do you mean with low end??
    torque???
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

Yup.

Interesting idea that; not practical, but interesting nonetheless.

How does this electrical assist engine will help the low end???
    I Love These Races!!!
    www.insideracing.com.br

Attached Images Attached Images
    UN ANELLO PER MODERARLI...UN ANELLO PER RICHIAMARLI...UN ANELLO PER FERMARLI E NEL BUIO...BANNARLI

Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul

The rush by manufacturers worldwide to adopt this technology is evidence enough of its value. Mazda have spent millions to develope it and one must ask why. All I can think of is that is physically small for the power output. The value of this is somewhat reduced when you look at the torque, because it still needs to be put in a fairly light car to be effective. therefore a turbo four will do everything and more. Mazdas answer may be in its self imposed exclusivity and the loyal following the technology has by its adherents.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

i reckon that if mazda hadve stopped at the RX-3 and kept that instead of going right up to rx-7, the engine would be more popular.

If Mazda stopped with the RX3 we wouldnt be talking about Rotaries in the present tense.

im more or less talking about keeping the rotary in cars of similar size to the RX-3. today that would be like having a renesis MX-5

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    im more or less talking about keeping the rotary in cars of similar size to the RX-3. today that would be like having a renesis MX-5
    I would still rather a turbo 1.8lt 4 than a rotary. So would most of the rest of the world it seems.

I would still rather a turbo 1.8lt 4 than a rotary. So would most of the rest of the world it seems.
    only through miss information and the general concensus that rotarys are "unreliable" and put out no torque. the FD put out plenty of torque and with a redline of 8krpm you can gear for more torque and your argument becomes pointless, rotarys are performance engines, they make great power from a small size and small displacement, when you say youd rather have 1.8 liter 4 than a rotary what about a 2 liter 20b 3 rotor? you want torque? lmao and thats closer to the displacement than the 1.3 liter 13b-rew, compare ANY 4 cylinder to the 20b in terms of reliability modability, performance(and keep in mind it came in a luxury car...) and if your worry'd about gas mileage then i wouldnt even be worry'd about a performance car. gas consumtion is the killer of the rotary in the 80's if it wernt for the ga crunch you be seeing rotarys in everything. after the gas crunch GM and mercades droped their projects, mazda was the only one to stick with it and if ppl can get over the misconseptions and see the truth i wouldnt doubt other manufacturers would start toying with it again. on paper the design is almost perfect(more perfect than any piston engine, only thru use of better materials and developent it will come to blossom(the piston engine has been around forever, if the rotary had as much development as piston engines we wouldnt be talking about it in the current context.

PS i read thru this whole thread and theres so much ignorance im not going to bother with responding to, even if i did most these ppl arnt even around anyway...
    UCP's Most Hardcore Burro!

Being human explains everything but excuses nothing

Originally posted by megotmea7
    gas consumtion is the killer of the rotary in the 80's if it wernt for the ga crunch you be seeing rotarys in everything. after the gas crunch GM and mercades droped their projects, mazda was the only one to stick with it
    theres a good side and bad side to this:

bad: by sticking with the rotary, it almost sent mazda broke and ford ended up bailing them out

good: after that mazda were able to continue on their development work and come up with what we see in the RX-8 and now theyre working on a hydrogen IC rotary

Thread Information