could not find alternative VVT-i hose, so bought OEM. It has the yellow stripe. There is a metal plate that blocks view of the lower end of the hose. I dont know why that plate is needed. I might leave it off that way i can inspect the entire VVT-i hose including upper and lower ends. Also bought new gaskets and that filter that fits in the upper VVT-i line.

After a few long runs with new engine oil and filter, its not making as much ticking noise. maybe the oil was too thick. Maybe too many short trips. I replaced with the recommended 5w/30. I will replace it again frequently for a few times, so it that cleans out whatever is ticking. There is also another noise. I will spin water pump when i replace the serpentine belt. maybe run engine with out belt to see that that changes the noise.

this vehicle was bought and operated from new until now in Delaware (2007 to 2020). they use road salts. could that cause the engine oxidation? especially considering that cover that locks air above the valve covers.