Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: v8 weighing less then a 1.8 inline 4???

Aluminum Blocks arent that weak, the C5-r's blocks are aluminum, run hard and long.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

this thread kinda remembered me of an incident i had last year. we were a group of guys sitting around and talking cars, when one of the guys i didnt know claimed that he had looked at the VW Jetta/Bora and Audi TT catalouges and discovered that the TT is exactly TWICE the weight of the Jetta/Bora. He was unable to remember which model TT or Jetta/Bora he was reading the numbers for, but i dont think it was necessary anyways.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

the ls1 is the engine in the miata or the v8??? i hate engine codes

and my mistake, aluminum isnt really bad for strength it was just bad for friction if the pistons were also made of aluminum but with nickel plated technology that doesnt matter anymore

and as for the thermal expansion coefficient ... i hvnt taken chem in a long time

the LS1's the chev small block
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    the ls1 is the engine in the miata or the v8??? i hate engine codes

and my mistake, aluminum isnt really bad for strength it was just bad for friction if the pistons were also made of aluminum but with nickel plated technology that doesnt matter anymore

and as for the thermal expansion coefficient ... i hvnt taken chem in a long time
    A lot of engine manufacturers overcome this problem with with steel bore sleeves so you can change them when the tolerences get to great,but the crank,conrods,rockers,cams etc are either cast or forged steel and whoever posted 4 cylinders dont make much horsepower tell Bmw their 1.5litre cast iron 4 F1 engine only made about 1500bhp and ran the 1/4 in 7 secs with way too high gearing and qualifying tyres,bloody 4 cylinders are gutless heaps of shit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Wasnt that a V6 turbo?
    I am the Stig

No it wasn't, charged is right. Amazingly the blobk was a standard BMW factory casting.

I have a book that talks about the development engine. They once had it on an engfine dyno and just keep feeding in more and more boost. The quality of the internals was so strong that it literally blew the crank out through the arse end with something like 4bar wound into it.

this is getting way off topic, i just wanna know if the v8 the guy put in is actually 45 lbs lower then the weight of the miata's 1.8 I4

Thread Information