Thread: idea

idea

i just had an idea. how about giving members the ability to add cars to the database? you could set up a form for us to fill in, and the pictures can be supplied from the high res database. (you are allowed to use those media pics for whatever you like right??)

the completed forms could then be checked by a mod, and if approved they can be added to the database.
    halo 2 - november 9

it sounds like a pretty good idea, but how would you decide what cars are relevant and which are irrelevant? its like in gran turismo, they'll fricken stick ALL the damn skyline, supra etc models but they'll miss out on the Australian cars
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    it sounds like a pretty good idea, but how would you decide what cars are relevant and which are irrelevant? its like in gran turismo, they'll fricken stick ALL the damn skyline, supra etc models but they'll miss out on the Australian cars
    well thats where we come in. we can add all the australian cars. i think the mods should decide the criteria for cars added, but i think pretty much anything can be added judging by some of the cars in the database.
    halo 2 - november 9

Also how does Wouter know the facts are correct and the text isn't ripped off ?

Being a 'real' website he does fall foul of legal constraints.

Also, getting it right isn't always that easy. jeremy Clarkson wrote in a book on sports cars that the Matra Bagheera was centre driver position. HE can get away with it, but an up-and-coming car reporter/businessman wouldn't - eh, Wouter
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Also how does Wouter know the facts are correct and the text isn't ripped off ?

Being a 'real' website he does fall foul of legal constraints.

Also, getting it right isn't always that easy. jeremy Clarkson wrote in a book on sports cars that the Matra Bagheera was centre driver position. HE can get away with it, but an up-and-coming car reporter/businessman wouldn't - eh, Wouter
    hmmmmmmm that could be a problem. although you can usually just get the media report/statement/thing that comes with the media pics though.

stats............well.................that could be a sligh issue, but i think if you have the ability to change the stats on cars after they are added, it shouldnt be too much of a problem, as other members will point it out once they have been added.
    halo 2 - november 9

Also Wouter's policy has changed to wanting to use non-media pics as often as possible. You'll notice that, unless it is a new car that hasn't been displayed at a show before, Wouter has pictures taken by himself or Rob.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

well, media pics could easily be used and if wouter or rob take pictures of that particular car, then they can be put up.
    halo 2 - november 9

Easy to submit user-taken pics, put em on webspace somewhere else, give the link to Wouter, if he likes em he can put em on this server.

Haha, but the "user" pictures could actually just be stolen media pictures themselves. =) Although it's a good idea, I think it's just a little be impractical.

We focus on bringing original content, written and photographed by our own editors. It is our key asset, so it would be kind of weird to have our readers have a go at it. I appreciate that you guys want to help though!
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Thread Information