Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GTO will live on.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    I can hardly wait.

"GM insiders say that car's appearance will be more eye-catching than the somewhat anonymous GTO. "

That sounds full of promise. Goodbye restrained styling and good taste, hello bling!
    i reckon that us GTOs should have been fitted with HSV bodykits, they would have gone done much better
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    i reckon that us GTOs should have been fitted with HSV bodykits, they would have gone done much better
    I'm sure 90% of the U.S guys would agree
    quad exhuast and all:d But they (pontiac) Would still have to ugly it with that front end
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

I hope the camaro comes back when this new GTO comes out! That would be the best year

GM has no balls. They're only in it for big sales.

Ford went the extra step and put some effort into their mustang, and it sells like balls. The mustang is also offered in several different specs, allowing poor people (me-ish) to pick up a v6 model that looks tits even if it's not quick. RWD is nice, too. GM needs to realize this, and offer the goat in various trim levels. Maybe instead of GTO, they could have the lemans, and then the goat could be the top level, compared to a mustang cobra. too bad they won't, and we'll be left with the same old soup, reheated.

A complete redesign won't hurt, but there's a 90% chance it'll be whatever chassis is available with a new body.

Let's see if they can kill the Camaro. If it looks like those chops that were being passed around, it might actually sell.
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich

Ford went the extra step and put some effort into their mustang, and it sells like balls. The mustang is also offered in several different specs, allowing poor people (me-ish) to pick up a v6 model that looks tits even if it's not quick. RWD is nice, too. GM needs to realize this, and offer the goat in various trim levels. Maybe instead of GTO, they could have the lemans, and then the goat could be the top level, compared to a mustang cobra. too bad they won't, and we'll be left with the same old soup, reheated.

A complete redesign won't hurt, but there's a 90% chance it'll be whatever chassis is available with a new body.

Let's see if they can kill the Camaro. If it looks like those chops that were being passed around, it might actually sell.

Gm had a cheaper V6 version of the camaro then there was the Z28 LS1 powered monster

The GTO never had a low powered motor in it so why start now.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    I'm sure 90% of the U.S guys would agree
    quad exhuast and all:d But they (pontiac) Would still have to ugly it with that front end
    Although its true many Americans have stated they'd rather the normal Monaro or the HSV version (perhaps carrying over both versions wouldve given what Sandwich wants in an extra trim specification) but to be on the yanks side on this, theres no gurantee they would dumb down the design or anything, but the fact that they softened the Monaro, let alone bring over the harder HSV version doesnt give you great confidence.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by fpv_gtho
    but the fact that they softened the Monaro, let alone bring over the harder HSV version doesnt give you great confidence.
    Seriouslym they SOFTENED the Monaro ??

Wow, OK -- the original Monaro shipped to the UK, what setup was it ?
    I've presumed the HSV version was the second gen we got here and the first was "origianl Aussie" spec.
    I'd NOT like to drive the origianl if it was softer Whilst it was very good it did have a slighty nasty pitch on the tight corners - but on the plus it made it a LOT easier to get big sideways exits
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    You mean like this?

-Fleet 500
    (Chrome & wood (Tasteless American car) enthusiast)
    Just pullin ya leg Fleet

You guys simply got what we had, but different badges. "Our" '03 245kw* Holden Monaros were "Your" '03 328HP* Vauxhall Monaro's. "Our" '03 285kW* HSV GTO's became "Your" 382HP* Vauxhall VXR. Then subsequently in '04 the outputs were bumped up to 260kW*/348HP* and 297kW#/398HP*

America on the other hand initally took the standard 245kW Monaro, tuned the exhaust and cam to 260kW and softened the suspension (i believe it had something to do with ungodly large cracks in the slabs of concrete on US highways) and in '05 slotted in the 298kW C6 Corvette engine, still i believe with the original suspension tune.

* - kW to HP conversion rate of 1HP = 0.7457kW
    # - HSV thought "7" in "297" looked better than "8" in "298" on the badge
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by sandwich

The Monaro was available in Australia originally with a 3.8 V6 and an optional supercharged V6. They hardly sold any and dropped it.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

I thought the CV6 was just the supercharged engine?
    I am the Stig

You guys simply got what we had, but different badges. "Our" '03 245kw* Holden Monaros were "Your" '03 328HP* Vauxhall Monaro's. "Our" '03 285kW* HSV GTO's became "Your" 382HP* Vauxhall VXR. Then subsequently in '04 the outputs were bumped up to 260kW*/348HP* and 297kW#/398HP*

America on the other hand initally took the standard 245kW Monaro, tuned the exhaust and cam to 260kW and softened the suspension (i believe it had something to do with ungodly large cracks in the slabs of concrete on US highways) and in '05 slotted in the 298kW C6 Corvette engine, still i believe with the original suspension tune.

* - kW to HP conversion rate of 1HP = 0.7457kW
    # - HSV thought "7" in "297" looked better than "8" in "298" on the badge
    And moved the fuel tank in front of the rear axle thus eliminating much boot space but making up for it by enable dual and quad exhausts on either side.

I thought the CV6 was just the supercharged engine?
    Perhaps you are right. I cant remember for sure now.

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    Perhaps you are right. I cant remember for sure now.
    i've only ever seen one monaro cv6, do you know how many were sold?
    i reckon if they used a turbo'd version of the current v6 they might sell a few more
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Thread Information