Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mazda RX-8 hydrogen rotary now street legal

Mazda RX-8 hydrogen rotary now street legal

Mazda Hydrogen Rotary Now Street Legal

29 October, 2004

Image Gallery

Japans transport authorities have given Mazda permission to road test a hydrogen-fueled, rotary-engine version of its RX-8 sports car. This unique vehicle features a dual-fuel system that allows the driver to select hydrogen or gasoline with the flick of a switch. In what could prove a historic event, this will be the worldĦs first street legal dual-fuel hydrogen rotary.

Permission from Japans Ministry of Land Infrastructure and Transport (MLIT) comes 12 months after Mazda unveiled a hydrogen/rotary concept version of the award-winning RX-8 at the 2003 Tokyo Motor Show. MazdaĦs near-term goal is to assess the practicality of this unique powertrain in everyday use. In the next-stage, expected within two years, test vehicles will be leased to governments and fleet users.

Known as H2RE, the test vehicle will deliver good performance with no loss of interior space for four people the high-pressure hydrogen fuel tank is mounted in the vehicles trunk. The H2RE is powered by a modified version of Mazdas award-winning RENESIS rotary engine that features an electronically controlled hydrogen gas direct injection system on the rotor housing.

RENESIS has proved ideal for burning hydrogen as the intake area of a rotary engine stays relatively cool in temperature, reducing the tendency for engine backfire, a significant challenge in conventional engines. The hydrogen/rotary combination likewise offers superior environmental performance zero emission of CO2 and near zero NOx emissions. And because existing parts and production facilities are used, the innovative engine can be built reliably at a relatively low cost.

More importantly, the hydrogen/gasoline dual fuel system will enable the H2RE to travel beyond the range of the few hydrogen filling stations now available. Mazda will continue to develop this technology for practical use and work to support the development of a hydrogen-fueled society.

Major specifications of Mazda RX-8 Hydrogen Rotary Engine Vehicle

Base model
    Mazda RX-8
    Base engine
    13B Dual Fuel Hydrogen Rotary Engine
    Length
    4.335m
    Width
    1.770m
    Height
    1.325m
    Wheelbase
    2.7m
    Weight
    1,440kg
    Passenger capacity
    Four adults
    Fuel
    Hydrogen or Gasoline
    Fuel tank
    Hydrogen 74L / 35MPa high-pressure tank
    Gasoline 61L

History of Mazdas hydrogen vehicle development

1991 Developed first hydrogen rotary engine vehicle, HR-X
    1992 Test drive of golf cart equipped with fuel cell
    1993 Developed second hydrogen rotary engine vehicle, HR-X2
    Developed MX-5 test vehicle equipped with hydrogen rotary engine
    1995 Conducted Japan's first public road test with Capella Cargo equipped with
    hydrogen rotary engine
    1997 Developed Demio FC-EV
    2001 Developed Premacy FC-EV, conducted first public road test in Japan
    (Methanol Reforming)
    2003 Announced RX-8 hydrogen rotary engine vehicle development
    2004 Received MLIT approval for public road testing of the H2RE dual-fuel RX-8
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I am the Stig

I must say, not to annoy any Mazda fans or anything, but it would've been much better to produce a hydrogen car that uses a piston engine... The Renesis is a very thirsty engine, and it already lacks the torque that hydrogen struggles to produce. The ideal car, in my view, would've been to use a Miata, which is also a few hundred kilos less massive than the RX-8.

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I must say, not to annoy any Mazda fans or anything, but it would've been much better to produce a hydrogen car that uses a piston engine... The Renesis is a very thirsty engine, and it already lacks the torque that hydrogen struggles to produce. The ideal car, in my view, would've been to use a Miata, which is also a few hundred kilos less massive than the RX-8.
    Nicely said.

120HP/89Lbs Torque engine in a 3000lbs car will make it really slow. The power to weight ratio is a lot worse than a Honda Civic, unless they reduced drastically the weight.

In the article it says though that the intake ports on the rotary housing makes it more ideal to burn hydrogen than a piston engine as its a lower temperature. As for putting the Renesis into an MX-5, it seems like a good idea, but i guess Mazda thought for image sake it should stick with the stock equipment or something
    I am the Stig

Sounds good in theory. ill wait and see how the road tests go before i pass judgement.
    The Datto will rage again...

Im a rotary fan, yet i cant agree more with you. They should be focusing on increacing touque not decreacing it.

What about burning on gas for more power/torque? Just like in daily-driving life, you don't always need all that power. Kind-of like cute-offs in some Daimler-Chrysler V8 engines, where they can run on only 4-cylinders.

Hydrogen powered engines are slowly being developed. It seams like hybrids popped out of nowhere.
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

Quote Originally Posted by 85RX7
    Im a rotary fan, yet i cant agree more with you. They should be focusing on increacing touque not decreacing it.
    When did Egg_Nog say anything about decreasing the torque?

Quote Originally Posted by distress
    Kind-of like cute-offs in some Daimler-Chrysler V8 engines, where they can run on only 4-cylinders.
    i didnt know they did that, interesting piece of info. i read that on the chevvy (??) 16 that you could shut down cylinders to run on just 6 at times and then open up the other 10 at an opportune moment
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    When did Egg_Nog say anything about decreasing the torque?
    and it already lacks the torque that hydrogen struggles to produce.
    Right there

Quote Originally Posted by 85RX7
    Right there

He said that it lacks torque, he never said anything about decreasing the torque. He is criticizing the engine for having such a small amount of torque, why would he want them to decrease it even more?

he said hydrogen struggles to produce torque, and i basically said that thay shouldn't do it coz they need to increace it somehow instead of decreacing it by using hydrogen power. Just my own thoughts.

although hydrogen engine may lack for performance, still, it is cheaper and more environment friendly. so i think this car is made to reduce pollution, not for high performance sports car.
    Reach for the moon! Even if you miss, you'll still be among the stars!

Quote Originally Posted by tmntmail_ppn
    although hydrogen engine may lack for performance, still, it is cheaper and more environment friendly. so i think this car is made to reduce pollution, not for high performance sports car.
    Of course

I think you missed the point I was trying to make... the rotary engine already lacks torque and guzzles fuel, so it is inherently a bad start for a hydrogen application. While hydrogen is completely encouraged by all means, it seems that it might be better suited to a piston engine.

Of course

I think you missed the point I was trying to make... the rotary engine already lacks torque and guzzles fuel, so it is inherently a bad start for a hydrogen application. While hydrogen is completely encouraged by all means, it seems that it might be better suited to a piston engine.
    I might have said it a bid strangley, but those are my viewes too. I guess Mazda just wants to show that hydrogen can be applied to the rotary engine and shut some people up about its fuell and emmision issues.

Thread Information