Thread: Car Themed Movies

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    My picks aren't movies, but I've always loved the cars in both Columbo and the Rockford Files; the titular Columbo drives a Peugeot 403 Cabriolet! How many of those could possibly have existed, even at the time, in the US?

Anyway, both take place in 1970s Los Angeles with all the far-out automotive subcultures that encompasses: burnt-out hippies, chainsmoking Cadillac backseaters, stringback glovesmen, thrifty and pert little Japanese runabouts, the Mercedes country-club set; they've got everything.

I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV, which car-centric content often fails to be. The pacing, like the cars, is very '70s: British fans of Morse will recognize the walking pace of the show as clues are deliberately and artfully collected and ruminated upon. It's an especially-pleasant antidote to the gunshot!, car-chase!, semen stain! style of cop procedural that seems to have been king for the last twenty years... The Rockford Files leans a bit more in that direction and crunches Pontiacs with gay abandon (even though they weren't yet falling out of railcars onto TV sets...), but I still find its canter to Columbo's trot gentle enough.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV
    Oh.... One more thing...

Hard to argue with a kinda niche hidden brilliant flick, Ronin. Gorgeous.

You watch the Rockford Files?! Are you 65?!

Quote Originally Posted by Man of Steel View Post
    Mad Max : the first movie is still a classic IMO. 600 hp of fuel injected vengeance ;-)

I also enjoyed Mad Max : Fury Road a lot.

Honorable mention: The 2011 movie Drive.
    The newer Mad Max was very enjoyable! I did not see the original yet. Whoops, that's what I meant when I wrote Driver*.

Quote Originally Posted by DrPsyche View Post
    Baby Driver is cool. But I really enjoyed watching these (and rewatched all of them multiple times already):

Gumball Rally
    Roadkill
    Gone in 60 seconds
    Gone in 60 Seconds with Nick Cage was so bad it's good, I remember sneaking into it as a kid with my cousin haha. It's bad/good nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    My picks aren't movies, but I've always loved the cars in both Columbo and the Rockford Files; the titular Columbo drives a Peugeot 403 Cabriolet! How many of those could possibly have existed, even at the time, in the US?

Anyway, both take place in 1970s Los Angeles with all the far-out automotive subcultures that encompasses: burnt-out hippies, chainsmoking Cadillac backseaters, stringback glovesmen, thrifty and pert little Japanese runabouts, the Mercedes country-club set; they've got everything.

I can also heartily recommend them (especially Columbo) as good TV, which car-centric content often fails to be. The pacing, like the cars, is very '70s: British fans of Morse will recognize the walking pace of the show as clues are deliberately and artfully collected and ruminated upon. It's an especially-pleasant antidote to the gunshot!, car-chase!, semen stain! style of cop procedural that seems to have been king for the last twenty years... The Rockford Files leans a bit more in that direction and crunches Pontiacs with gay abandon (even though they weren't yet falling out of railcars onto TV sets...), but I still find its canter to Columbo's trot gentle enough.
    That sounds interesting haha!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Oh.... One more thing...

Hard to argue with a kinda niche hidden brilliant flick, Ronin. Gorgeous.

You watch the Rockford Files?! Are you 65?!
    Ronin is such a good film! The Audi A8 and the BMW M5. *chef's kiss*

Thread Information